Can o' Lanterns!


For the past three or four years now, I've included these little beauties in my décor.  
Shamelessly stolen from Master Pumpkinrot, they fit nicely into my overall aesthetic.  Whether in the haunt itself or just in the yard, I think they are great!



I love lighting these with real candles.  LED candles are great and work for many situations, but nothing beats a true flame.

Most of mine I acquired from a coffee addicted friend and from a lady who works the cafeteria of a local school.  There is a pizzeria nearby I notice throws out huge cans that used to hold tomato sauce too, if I need more.

I have a variety of sizes.  I think the ideal way to carve these would be with a jeweler's torch.  Those little babies cut fast and the melted edges would look cool.  Lacking my own torch, I used a razor knife, leather gloves, and eye protection.  I got a small razor knife and a regular one. 

When those blades break (and they DO!), VERY sharp bits go flying.  No one is safe, especially the one wielding the knife.

That first year, I painted my cans.  Then, I just left them in the elements.  The following year they were well rusted.   Salt water accelerates the rust.  Salt water in a large can is a good place to soak smaller cans.  

In the desert, you can just leave the cans full of salt water outside and the water will evaporate away.  The can the water was in will continue to oxidize, and rust might even eat holes in them.

Happy Halloween!

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Comment here!

Popular Posts