Cold Porcelain

 "Cold Porcelain" is a homemade air-dry polymer clay.  Basically, it's PVA glue (Like Elmer's School glue or wood glue) and cornstarch.

I have made things from just those two ingredients.  However, I currently use this recipe for my own stuff:

- 2 cups of Corn Starch

- 2 cups of Elmer's Glue or wood glue (should be white)

- 1 Tbs of lemon juice or 1 tsp of citric acid

- 2 Tbs baby oil 

I mix it up, put it in a pan and heat it on the stove, stirring often.  It's pretty sticky stuff.  When it's all heated and mixed, I pull it out of the pan and knead it as soon as it cools enough.  I put cold cream without lanolin and silicone, like Nivea or Ponds, on my hands and the kneading table.  I knead it as thoroughly as I can.

Then, I wrap it up tight in plastic wrap and pop it in the refrigerator overnight.

The next morning it is ready to be used like any air-dry clay.

I have read this mixture can be stored in the fridge for "up to a couple of months".  Well, I just used some this morning that's been in the refrigerator for 9-10 months.  The outside stuff is a little stiff, but most of it is perfectly useable.  It smells nice, too!

Here are some teeth I made using this mix and various painting and distressing techniques:



I like to make my teeth on toothpicks so I can install them easily.  It makes it easier to handle and paint too!

Here's a WIP with some teeth in place:

Would love to see what you do with this stuff.

Happy Halloween!









Comments

Popular Posts